Is wireless internet on a plane dangerous?飞机的无线互连网安全吗?
You should be forgiven for thinking the idea of flooding an airliner cabin with radio waves just so people can surf the Internet at 35,000ft would make safety experts shudder .Not so.
While mobile phones and other gadgets producing radio waves are banned because they can interfere with navigation systems,rigorous testing of wireless internet systems has declared them safe.Lufthansa will become the first air line to offer the service,using Boeings’s “connexion”system.
Radio waves are unwelcome on planes fro good reason.”They can induce false signals in wires or onboard computers,”says Mike Woodward,Boeing’s connexion spokesman.Research carried out by the Civil Aviation Authority last year found that mobile phoes could produce dodgy readings on instruments and set off smoke detectors in baggage compartments.
IN-flight wireless internet access works by fixing a string of stransceivers along the length of the cabin ceiling that can send and receive data to and from laptops on board.The transceivers then ferry information back and forth to a server in the plane’s rudder that connects to the internet via a satellite link.
The systme is safe mainly bbecause the power of the radio waves in the cabin is so low—around 20 times less than a typical mobile phone.The signals and also a higher frequency than those put out by mobiles,so their range is much lower.
Access to certain sites can be barred if requested.”If people look at sites that disturb other passengers,it’ll be treated,case by case ,in a similar way to where someone hava a dodgy magazine or a CD,”says Woodward.
来自杂志
HOW TO USE TI 流利美语脱口说
1、um and aah 支支吾吾
A:Why do you always um and aah? 你干吗总是支支吾吾?
B:I don’t know wher she is indeed.我确实不知道她在哪儿。
A:I don’t know believe you !我不相信你!
B:please,don’t ask me again.请别再问我了。
2、let up 减缓,暂停
A:Gosh,the rain is so heavy! It’s raining cats and dogs.天哪,雨太大了,简直是倾盆大雨。
B:Everything grows hazy ,I cannot drive.一切都模模糊糊的,我没办法开车了。
A:Let’s have a rest.我们休息一会儿吧
B:When will this rain let up?这雨什么时候才能停呢?
A:You can never tell.谁也说不准!
3 .just yet
A:Lina,when will you be back?Henry and I have been waiting for you a long time!LINA ,你什么时候回来?我和亨利都等你好久了!
B:I cannot just yet.WE’re having a meeting.我现在还不能回来,我正在开会。
A:Well, we will dine out.那么我们出去吃饭了。
B:That’s OK.I will call you once the meeting is over.好吧,我开会一结束就打电话给你们。
4、run riot 任意驰骋,任意滋生
A:I didn’t finish my composition in the class.在课上我没完成作文。
B:Why?为什么?
A:Because the title is so interesting .MY mind ran riot as soon as I saw it.Before I was to write,time was up.因为作文题目太有趣了。一看到这个题目,我的思想就驰骋起来。而当我想写的时候,时间已经到了。
B:Hope you wouldn’t make the same mistake nest time.希望你下次别再犯同样的错误。
5、touch a nerve 触到一个敏感的话题
A:How is your family?你全家都好吧?
B:My wife was gone last year.我太太去年去世了。
A:I am sorry ,I’m afraid I’ve touched a nerve.对不起,我恐怕是触到了一个敏感的话题。
B:Never mind ,I can face the music没关系,我能够面对现实。
A: You are really strong.你真坚强。